Neue Artikel

Angesehene Artikel

508th Military Police Battalion Unit Crest, german Made

Crest-MP-01-0001

Neuer Artikel

US Army

Unit Crest 508th Military Police Battalion

SINE PRAEJUDICIO

Old German Made DI/DUI 1950's

Hersteller: Kalka Augsburg

neu/NOS

Mehr Infos

6,99 € inkl. MwSt.

Technische Daten

Weight100g
Materialdecal Sticker, Label Pin, Metal,

Mehr Infos

1945 - 1964 (Source: Email from Dick Burch) The 508th Military Police Battalion was originally constituted on 29 July 1921 in the Organized Reserve as the 308th Military Police Battalion. This unit was allotted to the Regular Army, 1 January 1938. The 1st of June 1940, the Battalion was officially re-designated as the 508th Military Police Battalion. The 508th Military Police Battalion with Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment and Companies A, B and C, were activated 20 March 1944 at Ft Sam Houston, Texas. (The Battalion arrived in the European Theater in December 1944. It initially served in England where in January 1945, it was transferred to the newly formed 15th Army. In mid-March, the 508th was moved to France and attached to 1st Army. The battalion participated in the final drive of the allied armies into Germany performing traffic control, operation of straggler control points, and suppression of violence between Russian and Polish displaced persons and German Civilians in and around the area of Dueren, Germany. For more details, see Dick Burch's HHD, 508th MP Bn web site - link is in the Related Links section below.) Battalion Headquarters, 508th Military Police Battalion was moved on 27 April 1945 from Dueren to Frechen, Germany, APO 408 and the Companies and Detachments of the Companies were on duty throughout the Aachen-Cologne Area. On 24 June 1945, orders were received effecting the assembly and transfer of the 508th Military Police Battalion to Munich, Germany, APO 403, in the heart of Bavaria. This meant the end of attachment to the 1st US Army and assignment to the 15th US Army and a new assignment with the famous 3rd US Army with General George C. Patton as the Commanding General. The 508th Military Police Battalion arrived in Munich on 27 June 1945 with Hq and Hq Detachment and Co's A, B and C and was located in the Stetten Kaserne, Dachau Strasse. The MP Station was located at #6 Sophien Strasse, (behind the train station) downtown Munich. On the 12th of July 1945, the 508th Military Police Battalion relieved the 512th Military Police Battalion of all active duty in Munich and having been reinforced with 200 enlisted men took over the mission of law enforcement in Munich and it's environs. This was indeed a difficult assignment for an Army MP Battalion. Munich, a pre-war city of 750,000 and the age old culture center of Bavaria, had also the dubious fame of being the birthplace of the Nazi Party. In fact, the beer cellar in which Hitler first met his cohorts and which was later the scene of a bombing attempt on his life, had been adopted for use as an American Red Cross Club, the "Buergerbraeu-Keller". To facilitate and raise the efficiency of operations, the city was divided into three sectors with a company assigned to each sector. Co "A", 508th MP BN was assigned the section north of Landsberger Strasse and west of the Isar River. Co "B" 508th MP BN was assigned the opposite sector East of the river and south of Landsberger Strasse. Co "C" 508th MP BN was assigned the Area from the Hauptbahnhof (Main Railroad Station) west to the suburb of Laim. The problem of policing included control of large numbers of Displaced Persons and their camps. These people were of all nationalities from all of Europe and included the lawless elements always found in such homeless groups. Black marketeering, riots and crimes of violence aggravated by a large influx of allied troops on furlough and pass, kept the Battalion busy day and night. There were two (2) Traffic Posts operated by Company C, 508th MP BN in it's sector. One being at the eight-street intersection at Rosenheimer Platz and the other at the three-street intersection at Zweibruecken Strasse and Rosenheimer Strasse. It was the duty of Military Police on these posts to keep traffic moving properly, give correct directions to and locations of travel routes to anyone traveling through or in Munich. It was a large task at this time as the flow of traffic was continuous, with convoys of troops being shifted to new stations and being deployed. It was difficult at first to get the German civilians to obey signals as they were unfamiliar with them. However it was not long before the Germans began to understand with the help of Radio announcements and other informational programs. Several thousands bicycles and other vehicles were impounded, before the rule that main streets and highways were "off limits" to Germans was fully understood. A Traffic Regulating Post (TRP) was established at Rosenheimer Strasse and Zweibrueckener Strasse. The TRP was manned by two Military Policemen and a German Interpreter. This post was equipped with large maps of Germany and locator logs for units. It became one of the critical and central information agencies in Munich. Also attached to this TRP were two-foot patrols, which covered the surrounding area directing people to the TRP and enforcing uniform regulations and other laws. In Aug 1945, the direction of traffic at intersections was turned over to American-trained Civil Police. This ended the mechanical direction of traffic by Military Police, but the TRP was kept in operation for the benefit of Americans. On St. Martins Strasse, a Maintenance Law Office was maintained which had a Desk Sergeant and the necessary interpreters and clerks. This was the Operations Office for Company C sector. Also attached was an Investigation Section which made Special Investigations in cases of serious crimes, curfew violations by civilians were handled in this office with the offenders being booked and sent to Cornelius Prison for trial. Company C, 508th MP BN also furnished a detachment known as the "Palace Guards” which furnished security for HQ. Third U.S. Army (Rear) located at Tegernseerland Strasse. It also guarded the home of General Mueller, Chief of the Military Government of Bavaria. A Summary Court was stationed approximately ten miles south on A-6 South Autobahn. Company C, 508th MP BN furnished Desk Sergeants and clerks for the court. This Court handled all traffic violators expeditiously. Company C, 508th MP BN also maintained motorcycle patrols on the main highways in this area coordinating with the 503rd Military Police Battalion. One notable lack in equipment that increased the difficulty of operation was radio communications. This situation was relieved in September 1945, by the installation of Police Radio Net. This net was the second of it's type to be operated on the continent by a Military Police Organization, the first having been installed in Paris. With the installation of this net completed and with the consolidation of Booking Office at MP Headquarters at 28 Ludwig Strasse, the operating efficiency increased to a point that compared favorably with any Metropolitan Police Force. By December 1945, the 508th Military Police Battalion was well settled in Munich with the main problem being the loss of trained personnel in the redeployment rush. In any event a better but less active year was looked forward to in 1946. At the beginning of 1946, the members of the 508th Military Police Battalion were to be patrons of an eventful year. The Battalion was the receipient of frequent commendations from higher headquarters and distinguished personages. The 508th MP BN Basketball team the “Raiders” won the Class "B" championship, defeating all three leading contenders on consecutive evening in a playoff series which began on the 10 of February, terminating 12 February 1946. During October 1946, the whole Battalion was utilized in order to facilitate the raid on the Luitpold Kaserne (DP Camp). The efficiency and co-operation of those concerned was outstanding, and enabled the raid to become another successful operation in the annuals of the 508th Military Police Battalion history. By those who participated or witnessed the eventful visit of the Army Chief of Staff General Dwight D. Eisenhower reviewing the elements of the 508th Military Police Battalion and the 2nd Constabulary Brigade, a memory of that colorful moment will not be easy to forget. Components of the 508th Military Police Battalion escorted General Eisenhower during his visit to Munich. The General was accompanied by General Joseph T. McNarney, Lt. General Geoffrey Keyes, Maj. General Ernest N. Harmon, Brigadier General Hobart R. Gay, and Brigadier General Walter Muller on history of the city. The impressive procession consisting of eight sedans escorted by motorcycle platoon left the Munich Bahnhof after the arrival of the five star General, and proceeded to the Koenigsplatz, where before the war, the legions of Hitler paraded. In this vast reviewing ground, General Eisenhower reviewed elements of the 508th Military Police Battalion and the 2nd Constabulary Brigade. Included in the parade were A, B and Provisional Companies of the 508th Military Police Battalion and a horse-mounted platoon, color guards, the band, four companies of foot troopers, motorcycle platoon, and jeep, armored car and light tank units all of the 2nd Constabulary Brigade. The remainder of the 508th Motorcycle Platoon escorted the group of Generals and officers about Munich, visiting the headquarters of OMGB, the Export Schau, and finally the two DP Camps outside of Munich, where General Eisenhower was met by Major General McBride, Commander of the 9th Infantry Division. 508th MP Bn AOR, early 1950s 508th MP Bn AOR, 1957-64 During 1945-51 the 508th Military Police Battalion with its subordinate companies - Hq and Hq Detachment, Companies A, B and C - was first located in the Stetten Kaserne, Dachau Strasse. The MP Station was located at #6 Sophien Strasse (behind the main train station) downtown Munich. On 20 September 1951, in accordance with a directive originating at Headquarters, European Command, the Battalion was reorganized to include Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 508th Military Police Battalion and Companies "A,""B," "C." Also at this time, Company "D" 508th MP BN (which had been inactive since 1944) was reactivated. (Added June 27, 2006: Initially, Company "D" was located and headquartered in Bad Toelz with detachments in Garmisch, Murnau and Degerndorf. In late 1954, Co D headquarters relocated from Bad Toelz and was headquartered in Reese Barracks, Augsburg, retaining its detachments in Garmish, Oberammergau, Berchtesgaden, Bad Toelz, Degerndorf, Murnau, and Fussen.) The mission of the Battalion was enlarged to include the police responsibility for the entire 11,000 square miles of Munich Military Post, the largest military post in the world and Garmisch Military Post as well. At this time, Company "C" 508th MP BN was relocated from McGraw Kaserne and headquartered in Regensburg with Detachments in Landshut and Straubing. During this re-organization of the 508th MP BN, Company "D" 508th MP BN was located and headquartered in Bad Toelz with detachments in Garmisch, Murnau and Degerndorf. Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 508th Military Police Battalion, with Company's "A" and "B" (-) remained in McGraw Kaserne and continued policing the metropolitan area of Munich. Company "B" had a Detachment located in Berchtesgaden. In 1957, due to changes in the organizational structure of the Southern Area Command (SACOM), it became necessary to regroup elements of the Battalion in order to function as an integral unit. Under the new disposition, all elements of the 508th Military Police Battalion were attached to the Munich Post. In late 1957, Company "C" headquarters relocated from the Regensburg, Landshut and Straubing areas to Reese Kaserne and later Infantry Kaserne, Augsburg, Germany. Company "D" headquarters relocated from Bad Tolz, Garmisch, Murnau and Degerndorf to Regensburg with Detachments at Landshut and Straubing. Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 508th Military Police Battalion and Companies "A" and "B" remained in McGraw Kaserne and policed the city of Munich. Company ''A'' had Detachments in Garmisch, Bad Tolz and Berchesgaden. Company "B" had Detachments in Bad Aibling and Chiemsee. In August 1963, Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 508th Military Police Battalion and Company's "A" and "B" relocated from McGraw Kaserne (across the road from the main gate of McGraw Kaserne) to a new Headquarters, 508th Military Police Battalion Building called Von Steuben Hall. On 21 October 1963 the new Headquarters Building was dedicated and Platoons of the 508th MP's and the 760th Battalion Feldjaegers (German MP's from the German Bundeswehr) were present for the dedication. At this time, Company "C", 508th MP BN was located at the Infantry Kaserne in Augsburg. Company "D", 508th MP BN was located in Straubing, Landshut and Regensburg. On 1 July 1964, Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 508th Military Police Battalion and Companies "A," "B," "C" and "D" were deactivated per USAREUR General Order No.201. During 1 June 1964 saw the formal deactivation ceremonies of the 508 Military Police Battalion. On the last day, the unit marched from Von Steuben Hall (across the road from McGraw Kaserne) and entered the gates of McGraw Kaserne proceeding up the main street to the front of Southern Area Command (SACOM) Headquarters. Battalion personnel then formed into a Battalion Formation and a brief history of the 508th MP BN was read. Colonel Lee C. Miller, SACOM Commander reviewed the troops and the colors were officially retired by Major Franklin M. Conway, Commanding Officer of the 508th and SGM Murrey E. Morris, BN SGM. Colonel Miller made a final address to the Battalion and then the 508th Military Police Battalion passed in review and marched away for the last time. Upon deactivation of the 508th MP BN in Munich, former members from Company's "A" and "B" were either assigned to Co C, 793rd MP BN, which was assigned to Von Steuben Hall, Munich to replace the 508th MP BN in Munich. Former members of the 508th MP BN not remaining in Munich were reassigned to other military police units within Germany.

30 andere Produkte in der gleichen Kategorie: